Drinking a mixture of honey, lemon and warm water every morning on an empty stomach is often said to be the best way to lose weight. But there’s more. This mixture, taken at the right time in the day, offers several other amazing benefits according to HealthSite’sPavitra Sampath.
The Benefits are:
1. Keeps constipation at bay: Warm water with lemon and honey, when had in the morning, stimulates the digestive system, helps produce intestinal mucus, hydrates the colon and infuses water into dried stool — a common reason for constipation. Apart from that, the warm water helps kick start bowel movements, aiding in regular and constipation free motions.
2. Hastens weight loss: Apart from cleansing your stomach, the lemon juice present in the mixture, goes a long way in helping you lose weight. Packed with a type of fibre called pectin, lemon helps you feel full and keep cravings at bay. The warm water, honey and lemon also creates a more alkaline atmosphere in your stomach, helping you lose weight faster.
3. Aids in better digestion: Lemon helps your liver produce more bile that helps your digestive system break down complex foods better and utilise the essential components. Honey, on the other hand, has antibacterial properties that help thwart any infections you might have. Apart from that, it also helps increase the production of mucous in your stomach, which indirectly helps in flushing out toxins from your body. Apart from drinking this healthy drink every day, make sure you avoid these foods that are difficult to digest.
4. Can improve functioning of the colon: Toxins may build up on the inner lining of our stomach, which is the reason for a number of ailments including cancer. This product of undigested food, intestinal cells and dead bacteria often coats the inner lining of our stomach and is thought to lead to diseases. By drinking lemon and honey mixed with warm water, the walls of the intestine – especially the colon – get stimulated; leading to the expulsion of toxins. This allows it to function better by helping your body absorb nutrients, get rid of toxins, stay adequately hydrated and keep bloating at bay.
5. Helps cleanse the lymphatic system: According to experts, a dehydrated lymphatic system is one of the leading causes of illness. Lack of water and essential fluids in the lymphatic system can make you feel sluggish, fatigued, lead to constipation, disturbed sleep, high or low blood pressure, stress and an all-around lack in mental function. The benefit of drinking this mixture early in the morning is that it gives your lymphatic system a boost and helps hydrate the entire system.
6. Can give your energy levels a boost and improve your mood: Not a morning person? Well, this mixture can help beat that lethargy and fatigue you often feel every morning. How? Well, honey is an instant energy booster – minus the calories. Water helps clear your mind by providing fresh blood to your brain, and lemon activates your digestive system, getting to work properly and eliminating toxins that are often the reason for lethargy. Moreover, the scent of lemon is known to be a natural relaxant and can help uplift your mood. If you continue to feel fatigued, even after trying this remedy, there may be other causes for your symptoms. Do not neglect it and visit a doctor.
7. Aids in cleansing your urinary tract and acts as a diuretic: Honey is a very potent antibacterial agent, that has the capability to beat a number of common infections. When mixed with lemon and water – two agents that act as excellent diuretics (agents that flush out water from your body) – this concoction is the best way to cleanse your urinary tract. For women who suffer from frequent UTI (urinary tract infection), this is a boon and is known to keep recurrent infections at bay.
8. Helps beat bad breath and improve oral health: The acidic nature of lemon combined with the innate properties of honey and water can help beat bad breath almost instantly. The lemon cleanses your mouth, activating your salivary glands and killing offensive bacteria. When added to honey and water, it helps wash down bacteria and degraded food that is usually present in your mouth and throat early in the morning. Another reason for bad breath is the formation of a white film on your tongue (mainly consisting of decaying food and bacteria), this effectively gets rid of that film, making your breath fresh – naturally.
9. Gives you clear skin and a natural glow: The benefits of lemon on your skin are aplenty, but apart from that, its cleansing action also helps in purifying your blood, also aiding in the production of new blood cells that acts as potent cleaning agents. The water and honey lend a unique restorative, antibacterial and collagen boosting properties to your skin as well.
So, how do you make this magical concoction? Fill a tall glass with warm water (as hot as you can tolerate), add the juice of half a lemon and one teaspoon of honey to it. Stir the mixture well and drink. Remember to avoid drinking tea or coffee for at least half an hour after you have had the honey and lemon mix.